Monte Maria: World’s Biggest Statue in Asia
If Brazil has Christ the Redeemer (98 ft high), Statue of Liberty in US (151 ft high), Philippines has the Monte Maria Shrine (315 ft high). Bigger than the world’s famous landmark, right? It’s because the statue aims not only to be a pilgrimage center, but also a world destination.
Personally, I don’t think is impossible to happen. Although the structure itself is not yet fully developed, place doesn’t have establishments, I believe few years from now this project will improve the tourism leads especially for Batangas Industrial. I just hope that these hotel, condotel and subdivisions around Monte Maria won’t ruin the serenity of the place.
Located in the southernmost tip of Batangas Bay in Batangas City, Monte Maria Shrine is a newly opened pilgrimage center in Batangas that is dedicated to Mary, Mother of All Asia. It is just a few hours drive from Manila which makes it an excellent choice of destination for those who are planning for a pilgrimage tour.
Inside is a stadium where Masses are usually held. Just a few minutes walk from the statue is the Sto Nino Chapel where masses are also being held and can accomodate more people.
Outside you will see Batangas Bay which creates a very scenic sight for the eyes!
1.Take a bus in Alabang, Quezon City or Buendia bound to Batangas.
2. Alight at Batangas City Grand Terminal.
3. Take a jeep going to SM Batangas Terminal.
4. Ride another jeep bound to Ilijan and ask the driver to drop you off at Monte Maria.
1. It is best to bring or hire your own car to Monte Maria Shrine
2. Best time to go is in the afternoon for sunset. The image will be against the light when you go there in the morning
3. Know the schedule of the mass:
Saturdays (8AM, 9:30AM, 11AM, 12:15PM, 3:30PM) / Sundays (7AM, 8AM, 9:30AM, 11AM, 12:15PM, 3:30PM)/ Every 1st Friday of the Month (4PM)/ Every 8th Day of the Month (9AM)
4. Get ready with too much walking.
5. Entrance fee is free of charge.